Content marketing is a marketing strategy used to attract target prospects by creating useful contents to educate, inform and attract them. Contents like blog posts, videos, podcasts, infographics, email marketing, e-books, e-courses, newsletters, or webinars etc. can help to increase lead generation, engagement and close more sales.
According to Content Marketing Institute: As CMI research shows, marketers with a documented content marketing strategy are more effective than those who lack a written strategy. Yet, only 40% of B2C and 37% of B2B marketers have written down a plan.
Here are some tips to create a successful content marketing strategy. Read on…
Tips 1# Set your goals and objective.
Keep these questions in mind when you start your content marketing strategy.
- What achievement do you want with your content?
- When your content will be promoted?
- Why do your target prospects want to read your content?
- How can the content help to build brand awareness, generate lead and increase sales?
Your content should be useful and benefit both your brand and target prospects. Write down your answers and start your plan from there.
Tips 2# Define your target prospects.
You need to do a research to find your idea people. Yes, this is sometimes known as your buyer persona or customer persona. These questions may help to get some ideas.
- What do they normally do? – Their job, hobbies, social lives, and social media activities.
- Where are your buyer personas? – Their location, company, address or social media platforms.
- Why they find your content useful and valuable? – Their likes, shares, and comments.
- How often is their online presence? – Their activities on the internet, or social media platforms.
Create a few of personas and fill in all information as you answer. Use your personas as a guide to your imagination satisfied-customers.
Tips 3# Research keywords for SEO.
Before you start to create a remarkable content, you need to do research keywords this to help increase more traffic to your website through the content you are sharing. Keywords have an important role in order to boost SEO (Search Engine Optimization) with more chances that customers can find you on the search engine. To do the keywords research, you will need to answer these questions.
- What keywords are your customers searching for? – The keywords they use to find a products or services or interest on search engines like google, bing, or yahoo etc.
- Why research keywords for SEO? – Keywords are important for your web traffic. Search engines will pick up the most relevance with high traffic to the first page when people search for that keywords. This means your business has better opportunity to rank higher and a more chance to be found.
- Where to put the keywords throughout your content and is understandable? – Use keywords throughout the content and it should read clearly and not confuse readers.
- How to do keyword research for SEO? – Use keyword planners like Google AdWords, or HubSpot’s Keywords App.
Tips 4# Brainstorm content ideas.
If you have a marketing team, talk the ideas with your team could be more difficult than a solo content creator. Write down your fresh ideas immediately or as soon as possible because you will forget what it’s all about. Believe me, I was like that before.
- Where can I get the ideas? – Go out meet people and talk more, use content curation tools or use keywords research tools etc.
- When should I brainstorm content ideas? – You want to be more specific, you need new content to impress and engage with your target prospects, and you need more traffic on your website.
- What is the objective for brainstorming the content idea? – To get appealing headlines and schedule your weekly or monthly content writing plan.
- How often I need to brainstorm content ideas? – You can plan for a year and break it down to monthly, quarterly, and half-year plans.
Tips 5# Decide your content type.
You can organise content types on your marketing plan better if you know which content types are best in term of to get more traffic to your website, better to increase brand awareness, and help to grow more revenues. Decide which content type is best for your achievement.
- What content types do you decide to create? – Blog posts, videos, podcasts, infographics, email marketing, e-books, e-courses, newsletters, or webinars etc.
- How many content types do you plan to create a content? – You may create a blog and add video, photos, to help get more attention and easy to understand for example.
- Who is your target prospects for each content type? or Who will read your content on each type?
- Why your brand need that content types? – Do your research and decide which content types are best for your content.
Tips 6# Set a budget
Many small businesses with an insufficiency fund are struggling to keep their marketing plan running. Budget your fund properly for the most effective result can be a challenge. You need to manage your budget to gain the best achievement, especially social media advertising.
- How much should you spend on each social media platform? – Spend more money on social media doesn’t mean you will gain a great success.
- Which social media will you use to promote a brand and how they charge? – Research and do the comparison, so you know which one worth the investment.
- What activities involved in an advertising campaign? – Break down the budget of each stage into percentage spending portion of the budget.
- Where are your target prospects? – Not everyone will be on the same social media platform. Focus on your target prospects can help you scale the right person and expectation.
Tips 7# Create a content
As you already have the content plan in mind, now it’s time to start to create the content. Write the main topics then break it down to more details. Create content with attractive design to catch more attention.
- What article are you writing about? – Write catchy headline. Most people read the headline before they scroll down to read the content.
- Where to add your adverts, links or related article to drive inbound traffic? – Don’t add too many ads or unnecessary links. Make the reader feel enjoyable to read.
- How to use design tools to get more attention? – There are many design tools to help you create fun, entertain, interesting content.
- How long your content should be? – Depends on what contents you plan to create. Blog posts, videos, information articles, 10x content, or case studies etc.
Tips 8# Promote your content
Promote your content on social media networks as you have planned by schedule sharing content to different networks at a good time.
- Which social media networks you are planning to promote your content? – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, G+, LinkedIn etc.
- How you schedule your promotion? – Plan to deliver your content on the calendar basis.
- What tools can you use to help schedule your promotion? – Use schedule tools to save your time such as Buffer, Hootsuite, and CoSchedule.
- When is the best time to share your content on each social media networks? – Research for the best time.
Tips 9# Analyse your content result
After you posted your content, analyse the result.
- How much content increase engagement, impression, likes, shares, comments, and pin?
- What are the weak points and strong points?
- Why people interesting in your content and why they are not?
- Which content type drive more traffic to your website or brand awareness?
Finally, don’t forget to analyse your competitors, use their weakness and strengthen for your next content marketing strategy advantage.